WEBPA

Missed the early parts of the thread but:

In the early 1970's someone (Analog Devices? Signetics? ) introduced a
single-chip analog device called VSC - "Variable Speech Control" intended for
"speed listening." It permitted continuous speed adjustments of a tape
recorder or record player ... without pitch changes. I still have (somewhere) a
demo recording bound in Electronics magazine (NOT the consumer "Electronics",
but the EE journal version that preceded it). It was normal and speeded-up
version of a very boring lecture (didn't get more intersting at any of the
increased or decreased speeds.)

As far as I know, Sony was the only manufacturer that used this chip. I still
have a purse-size cassette recorder that has VSC, a V8 deck (EV-C1) that has 2X
playback with sound (same as your BII machine).

PC Software that can change an audio file's speed without changing pitch (or
pitch without speed change) is very common. I've used CoolEdit for years to
stretch/shrink sound to fit ill-formed *.avi and *.mpg files.

p a w e b e r 0 2 @ a o l . c o m

Interesting. I hate to jump in like this, but you mentioned changing the
speed
but not pitch.

Brings me back to the first time, one of the high end Sony BETA models had 2X
playback with sound. Because it simply altered the head switching the pitch
didn't change. It sounded a bit chopped up, but it was intelligible.

The second time was I think a JVC, BUT IT WASN'T HIFI ! It used BBDs to chop
so many microseconds out of every second. It sounded alot smoother chopping
at
higher than 60Hz.

About a year ago, a buddy at work showed me a program that could manipulate
the
speed of music without affecting the pitch, and he told me it could also
change
the pitch without affecting the speed.

We have a machine shop and can install any motor you want to drive that
cassette mechanism, but these days it's better to manipulate it in the
digital
domain. At least for speed and pitch, there are no viable options, for
equalization analog is better, at least a good one is. I have an old
Soundcraftsman I'd like to use, but it needs a power transformer. I'll fix it
one of these days. My stereo sounds good enough, but it would be nice to have
it running. I haven't found a decent software EQ yet, and actually I'm having
hard time finding a good enough soundcard. The hiss is not in my amp and I
know
that for sure.

Rolling back the rates to pre-inflationary levels, that is my two cents
worth.

JURB

webpa