Frank & Renee

I am a Radiation Therapist and I work directly with cancer patients
everyday......I have treated hundreds of lung cancer patients over the
years. In my experience 99.9% of the people I have treated have gotten lung
cancer from direct or secondary cigarette smoke, or some type of prolonged
asbestos exposure. That's not to say it cant happen.......the dust from wood
can cause a myriad of other problems.....Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary
Disease (COPD) being one of them....Just my 2 cents......hopefully some of
the old timers in this group could offer some of their experiences with wood
dust exposure.

"BCD" wrote in message
I am curious how many people out there know of someone who has lung cancer
or some other serious ailment which is suspected to be attributable to his
exposure to wood dust. I suspect the risk level is fairly low.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff is messy, gets into everything, is an

overall
pain and can make good finishing work hard to do. I have no desire to

breath
quantities of it in (although I do enjoy the smell in the air after

cutting
hickory and walnut). Yet, my grandfather ran a woodshop for 30 years (age
40 - 70). It would be generous to call the dust collection he used as
primitive. Generally he went without and just swept up. At this point he

is
80 and has no health problems attributable to it (I know, 1 data point
doesn't make any headway toward being a credible study).

Now the craft is mine, and I do keep things orderly. With a well

engineered
dust collection system and air purification we can keep things fairly

tidy,
but not perfect. There is obviously residual exposure beyond what is
captured - especially around a handheld router, etc.

Any thoughts on the level of risk?