Uno Hoo!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Steaming off the painted-over-wallpaper in my kitchen has left the
edges of the artexed ceiling in disrepair. The artex has melted off/ is
peeling off in places.

I was going to patch the faulty bits with polyfilla, then emulsion. But
a quicker option may be to patch directly with artex.

Can artex be bought in small pots? I gather it is like thick paint
which can be brushed on...

Bruce

PS: Please don't tell me to remove the whole artex ceiling -- I
actually like the look of 70s artexed ceilings! One day they'll come
back into fashion...

I recently removed a 'room divider' made of veneered chipboard that
separated my dining room from the lounge. What I hadn't realised was that
the room divider (installed by the previous owner) had replaced an original
partition wall. The ceiling and walls had not been 'made good' when the room
divider was put up - because it hid the 'slots' where the wall had been. I
was faced with having to fill-in and then re-plaster these slots which were
about 4" wide and two inches deep. The walls were not a problem but the
ceiling was stipple artexed and after filling the 'slot' I was left with a
smooth strip right across the width of the ceiling. I originally bought a
small tub of pre-mixed artex and a proper artex stippling brush. I found the
stuff incredibly difficult to work with, however, and the finished job
looked nothing like the rest of the ceiling! I decided to scrape the repair
off and try again. This time I bought a bag of powder artex which contained
about four times as much as the pre-mix tub but cost around the same! After
a lot of trial and error I did manage to achieve some semblance of a stipple
effect - although even now you would hardly consider it an 'invisible
repair' ! I have since spoken to a professional plasterer who told me that
it is almost impossible to 'patch in' artex and achieve an invisible repair.
So there you have it. I would strongly advise buying a pack of powdered
artex - it's easy to mix and you will have plenty left over if you have to
have several tries!

Kev