Owain

Default light switches - safety issue?

"DarkHorse" wrote
| PS Rented property - you should have permanently wired in mains
| powered smoke detectors.
| Would you be surprised to learn that I don't even have battery
| operated ones?

The London Fire Brigade issued a report in 2001 which, for the first time,
investigated all fire deaths in London, ... 85% of these recorded deaths
took place in the home, and of those, 77% did not have a smoke alarm fitted.

In summary the study, which researched the Brigade's database of 27,000
fires, showed that you were more likely to die in a fire at your home if
you:
are over 60
are a smoker
enjoy a few evening drinks
live in Tower Hamlets, Brent or Westminster
do not own a smoke alarm
suffer from some kind of disability
http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_s...ty/fire_deaths.
asp

| Is there a user-friendly site that lists requirements such as these
| for rented properties?

It may not be compulsory unless your house is registered as a House of
Multiple Occupancy. However it is certainly good practice, and encouraged by
the Government's Guidance Note:

What type of alarms should local authorities provide?
10. The Approved Document to Part B of the Building Regulations recommends
the provision of hard-wired smoke alarms in new dwellings and dwellings
where a loft conversion is to be made. This Department recommends that,
wherever possible, local authorities should seek to provide hard-wired
alarms in their dwellings. This would most sensibly be achieved as part of
large scale improvement programmes.
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...page/odpm_hous
e_602533.hcsp
or Home Housing Information for local authority housing officers Other
housing policies Smoke alarms in local authority housing

However, whatever possessions the tenant moves in with, the landlord will
always be responsible for safety involving gas installations and appliances.
These must be subject to annual safety checks, with proper records kept.
Regulations also cover the safety of electrical installations and appliances
while common sense dictates that carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are
fitted in all let property.
http://www.arla.co.uk/btl/furnishnotfurnish.htm

The Accredited Property Scheme covers all types of private rented property
from single houses, to flats, and all types of houses in multiple
occupation, including student accommodation. The relevant standards are
based primarily upon existing legislation plus facilities normally expected
in the 21st Century and are therefore considered a satisfactory decent
standard. The scheme is entirely voluntary.
Smoke alarms should be provided in all rented accommodation. However, the
standard for multi-let properties, because of the higher risk, requires the
provision of adequate means of alarm; fire protection and escape route for
tenants. The precise specification will be determined following an
inspection by an Environmental Health Officer/ Fire Protection Officer
depending on the circumstances. Fire precautions must be well maintained and
alarm systems tested regularly. Requirements will include either a Part 6
mains interlinked or L2 systems
http://www.chestercc.gov.uk/communit...ives/Accredite
dprop.html

The Housing Act 1985 requires all accommodation to be maintained to a
reasonable standard and be fit for occupation. If you encounter any of the
following problems it is likely that your property does not meet these
minimum standards:
.... dangerous gas or electric supplies and appliances
If you do experience problems such as these, first notify the owner/agent
in writing asking for immediate action/repair. If, after a reasonable time,
the problem has not been remedied, contact the Private Sector Housing Team,
Environment and Development Department at the local council offices where
you can obtain relevant advice.
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/student_s...ty_home.jsp?Co
mponentID=934&SourcePageID=927

Shelterline Housing Helpline = 0808 800 4444
Under the Housing Act 1985, all houses must be fit for human habitation.
Tell the landlord about your worries in a letter, asking for a response
within a reasonable period (e.g. two weeks). Remind the landlord of the
common law ‘duty of care’ to ensure that occupants are safe. ...
as a result of your landlord neglecting to carry out the duties set out
in this leaflet, then you may be able to take action in the county court
under the Defective Premises Act 1972, Occupiers Liability Act 1957 or
common law negligence. ...
http://www.shelternet.org.uk/files/d...ire_safety.pdf

Owain