Asimov

"Bob Parker" bravely wrote to "All" (03 Feb 05 01:31:49)
--- on the heady topic of " What is your favorite small tester?"

BP From: Bob Parker
BP Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:9164

BP wrote:

You do NOT NEED to accurately read an analog meter to perform basic
troubleshooting. When checking diodes, transistors and general
voltages all you are looking for is approximate meter swing. No need
to actually read a digitally presented number and figure out if it is
in an acceptable range. Of course the digital is best for accurate
settings and voltage measurements but for most troubleshooting an old
analog is quick and fast.
electricitym

BP I entirely agree. I still go for my Jemco 20K ohm/volt analog meter
BP I bought in 1973, over my Fluke DMM unless I'm doing some critical
BP adjusting.

One can't really trust a dmm because all the specs say +/- 1 digit!
OTOH an analog meter always shows measurements with no uncertainty. It
may be wrong but it won't be different every time one takes a new
reading.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... That was a fascinating period of time for electronics