Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Sambo145 wrote:
I am a routine lurker at the wreck and have used aol for several years. Now
they are doing away with newsgroups and I was wondering if anyone knew of a
"simple" reader that I could use to continue enjoying the group. Thanks in
advance.

The answer depends on what O/S you're using.

There are 'dedicated' newsreader programs (that's *all* they do), and there
are 'multifunction' programs that will read news as one of their capabilities.

a partial list:

multifunction programs, available on multiple platforms:
Netscape
Mozilla
"Thunderbird", also from Mozilla,org
Outlook/Outlook Express (*NOT* recommended, tho some people like it)

For UNIX, and look-alikes, like the LINUX derivatives:

trn
slrn
xrn
knode

For MacOS:

Thoth

For MS-Windows:

Free Agent (from Forte Systems)
Forte Agent (a 'pay for' upgraded version of free agent)
MicroPLanet Gravity

For more than you could possibly want to know, do a google search
on "newsreader software"