Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Dom

My first question (before I would be able to answer your question) to
you would be what do you want to saw, next what horse power do you have
and then what saw blade do you use or should you use.

But as for most of the small band saws that we use, they are low powered
and thickness is mostly in the 6" area, the type of wood is all kinds of
course.

With your 3 speed wood band saw you have the choice to use a band with
more tpi (teeth per inch) without burning you wood, by going to a lower
speed.

The idea is that the fine teeth at high speed cannot get the saw dust
out and that generates burning heat.

With a 3 tpi blade you can use the high speed, but the problem with that
is it needs more power especially when using wider blades, so depending
on how thick your wood, tpi, blade width and thickness and hp you will
have to decide what speed to use.

The suggestion that you have a band saw that can saw wood and metal is
wrong, the speeds for metal are approx. in the 80 to 300 fpm (feet per
minute) from 80 fpm for tool steel and 300 fpm for brass, heavy duty
industrial machines use higher speeds but not that much, as for the wood
band saws they run some where in the 2000 to 4000 ftp and industrial
mills run as high as 7000 I think it is, problems than become friction
and blade wandering.

I have made my 4 speed band saw able to saw wood and metal by adding a
motor and jack shaft, if interested look at my web site.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum22html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Dominick feragola wrote:

Help. Which pulley configuration should i use for my band saw........there
are three sizes on eash of the two pulley's. It now goes a bit slow and i
thought if i set it up correctly it would cut better............

Dom