Don Foreman

Default Bikelight done!!!

I've previously posted accounts of my adventures building a very
bright wide-angle flashing red bikelight for my daughter who rides her
bike in NYC. Being highly visible is at least as important a safety
measure as wearing a helmet for a cyclist in traffic in NYC. She is
no engineer, but she was able to describe exactly what she wanted
and couldn't find at any price.

I had to learn some new skills and enhance older ones (TIG welding of
thin aluminum to thick) to "meet the spec". That was part of the
fun. Perhaps it was most of the fun, and why it took me so long.

This week I shipped a finished unit. I think she likes it.

Her comment:

---

Oh yeah I got it! F****NG COOL! We turned off the
lights and compared it to a paltry "civilian" bike
light MWAHAHAHAHAHA Oh my goodness I cant wait to
ride through Central Park after dark amoungst all the
techie cyclist shave-an-ounce dorks. I haven't yet
tried to mount it, will do that this weekend, but I
love the little switch!!!!
Thank you so much Dad, will get it mounted and do a
trial run this weekend for sure, and will report back,
wait till the Boyzz see it....
----
Grin grin! This petite, svelte, pretty, talented, tough as
necessary young woman is a recent graduate of "The New School" in
NYC after a few adventures along the way to 30. She's also been a
bike messenger in NYC where that is a contact sport because taxi
drivers hate bike messengers, try to dump them in traffic with
sideswipe skirmishes nobody sees. Knowing how to cave in the door of
a taxi with a heelshot without dumping in traffic is a survival
skill. NYC has standards for state-of -repair for taxis, fixing a
well-placed stretched-metal heelshot is expensive bodywork.
(Wonder where she learned that?) Word gets around. Taxis don't
bother her much anymore, go figure.
---
Flames for "proud dad" brags will be accepted as deserved. I hope I
have a few friends on this forum that might enjoy the tale. I check
in here often to learn and share, not to compete. I've found some
good friends on this NG.

BTW: Fitch's new house is now framed and closed with roof 3/4
felted before snow flurries temporarily stopped further roof work.
He is movin' out smartly on that project.