skuke

On 3 Feb 2005 18:19:18 -0800, wrote:

Ok, let's put it another way.... what small enclosed VMCs are available
and what do they usually run used (for one that hasn't been beat to
death)? I figure if there is a machining center with a toolchanger and
everything it will probably do what I'm after. I don't need to hold
.001" on the whole part but definitely need to for certain areas of it.

JOe

You need a 6"-12" cube work envelope? Look at some of the newer Haas and
Fadal "tool room" mills. Haas even has a new line called the Office
Mill(?). I'm not sure that has enough power and space for your needs, but
check it out.

I think you basically need to stay away from knee mills if you *really* need
..001" on any significant parts of your job. Yeah, you could do it, but it's
just way more work. Look into bed mills with or without enclosures. Maybe
a Milltronics, Hurco or Prototrak (bed mill version). Even with the last
three mills, look for a head/quill design that will be sufficiently rigid
for your needs. I don't know the prices for any of the above, but they are
all well over $25k new.

Maybe you should just job out the contouring part you can't currently do??
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email