mel

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

But there's no doubt (simply check the game commission statistics for
almost any state) that the total numbers of deer are up---well up in
many places, owing for at least a major extent, to the combination of
ready food supply and no or very limited predatory pressures. Some
areas are literally "run over" even well inside very well developed
areas.

Once again Duane it's a matter of perspective. Game commission statistics
are gathered from known numbers of "harvested" deer. It's physically
impossible to actually count the deer. These statistics are skewed based on
a limited amount of information. Taking into account the increasing
popularity of the sport, surely you can see how an increased "harvest" can
be misconstrued as an increase in overall population. Furthermore, game
management for the sole purpose of increasing deer population by land owners
who depend on the income from deer leases can also contribute to this.

However, we are not simply discussing an increase in the overall population
of game. Intentional or unintentional. We are discussing the plausibility
of an "explosion" of epic proportions that is indicative of a decline in the
livability of our world. In essence.... a plague of deer.

You can argue this from whatever perspective you wish. You can say an
increase in the deer population means we are doing something wrong.... or
you can say the increase means we are doing something right. Until I see
the browse lines in all the wooded areas at 6 feet I don't intend to be too
concerned.