Bob Mannix

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:37:40 +0000, brugnospamsia wrote:

Is it possible to obtain meter tails longer than 1 metre ?

Pretty-well any electrical wholesaler will sell you any length of 25mm^2
6181Y cable you like by the metre - limited only by the reel length!

Believe so, as I heard of much longer runs. It's worth getting
professional advice if you're going to go more than about 2m away.
Something I read recently suggested 2m might require a fused isolator

on
your side of the meter. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. The
electricity supply company might be able to advise.

That's essentially correct. The maximum length of meter tails is
limited to either two or three metres, depending on who your supply
distribution network operator is. This is because they will not allow
their main fuse to be used to protect your wiring, other than over the
short length of the tails.

If you want to move your consumer unit some distance away from the meter
you need to install a 100A DP switch-fuse (assuming a normal
single-phase domestic supply) within the 2m or 3m tails-reach limit of
the meter. You can then run a distribution circuit of any length you
like (in principle) to the CU - which should now strictly speaking be
called a distribution board. Or you can feed multiple distribution
circuits and boards using a suitably designed 'main switchboard' scheme
by the meter.

The distribution circuit(s) will need to be properly designed to comply
with all the relevant requirements of BS 7671: cable size/rating,
voltage drop, earth fault loop impedance and so on. There are several
valid choices for the type of cable that could be used - 'meter tail
cable' (6181Y), conduit cable (6491X) in conduit or trunking, steel wire
armoured (SWA), or mineral insulated (MICC) are probably the main ones.

This is all entirely correct. The new protected cable is often referred to
as a "sub-main". Don't forget you may need to run a new earth cable as well,
of suitable size. I have done it myself DIY.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)