Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Greg O ) said...

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Now im getting a bit confused, I put in basement apatments and hooked
everything to the main 4" or so drain that takes care of 2 upper floors
and all is fine for years. I thought the main drain was the vent as it
terminated out the roof. or am I wrong. It all works well though.

It may work, but it is not up to code in most areas.
Just 'cuz it works, don't mean it is right!

I believe in our code (and probably others) a wet stack may be used for
venting only where it carries a single sink or tub, but not a toilet,
from above.

Even so, I lean towards only using only dry stacks for venting.

Dry stacks start with the vent on the roof and proceed down to each
fixture they serve. Branches for each fixture must take off the main
stack above the flood line for the fixture. Therefore, no fixture can
ever have water from it flow into the dry stack.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon