Andy Hall

Default Equivalent fluorescent power

On 21 Mar 2004 06:10:08 -0800, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Daylights are not one of the better ones, theyre quite an old fl
technology.

I've used a combination of these and triphosphor types for workshop
use and get the results that I want.

Perhaps with mixing with some sort of proper tungsten lighting, there
are occasions where certain types of fluoresecent are just about OK,
but certainly not in isolation in a domestic setting.

If you conceal them by any one of a number of methods, and use decent
tubes, they're great - especially to give a choice of moods in a room.

I'm aware that there are different tube types and have tried many and
in different settings, but never found any that I like other than for
workshop applications.

Which ones have you tried? I like 3500k for general house use, and
some of the Philips numbered ones are good when a less warm light is
wanted, such as for daylight boosting, or working use. Look for high
CRI and low light temperature. There are also full spectrum tubes.

In places where tungsten lighting is appropriate, I have fittings that
use them. All of the CFL types, apart from looking artificial, ar
plug ugly as well.

Fls running off high frequency ballasts supplied by dc are competely
flicker free. Not all electronic ballasts are flicker free. Filament
bulbs OTOH are not flicker free.

They are adequately low flicker in comparison with simple choke
fluoresecents. I don't have any of the latter, but entirely HF
electronic types in the small number of locations where they are
appropriate.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl