Jack P. Flash

I've ordered some 2024 and 7071 stock. I have some 6061 already. Will
try all three.
I'm using a Taig lathe and the parts are small. 24mm in diameter and 6mm
thick with a few holes drilled for lightening.
I'm looking to buy some tools. Will these work OK? I have yet to find a
source for PCD tools on the internet.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G5639

Any place else to get something that will be better if these aren't up
to the job?

Thanks!
James

Anthony wrote:
James Holbrook wrote in news:XrYLd.7157$HZ.2520
@okepread07:

Hello,
I'm getting ready to turn some small parts out of aluminum.
The parts I'm making are basically discs of about 24mm diameter and 3mm
thickness with a few holes drilled for lightening. The most important
criteria are beauty (looks good with no gauling) and machinability.

I've seen all sorts of grades and am confused as to which is the better
grade to use.
What grade aluminum should I get and what type of tool. HSS or Carbide?

Any other tips I could use?

Thanks

James

If you want the best possible finish, a diamond tool is it for aluminum
(PCD tipped tool). Get the largest radius your part geometry will allow.
6061 or 7075 for the material.