F. George McDuffee

cross posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
snip
I recieved an e-mail today regarding the section 179 tax deduction. I
thought it might be of interest to anyone thinking about buying a machine.

snip
As a follow up to my earlier comments in the of-shore sourcing
thread that the US economy becoming so ornate, baroque and arcane
that no one can tell the true cost of anything.

These obscure provisions in the U.S. tax code are exactly what I
am talking about.

Bear in mind that this is not "free" money. In order for one
taxpayer to pay less, another taxpayer must pay more, and/or the
deficit must increase, and/or everyone must do with slightly
fewer services (generally the children and poor).

Many of our most "successful" major corporations pay no federal
income tax, and indeed many receive "refunds," which segues into
the Ann Lander's question "are we better off with or without
them."

An important but unasked question "Is the US macro economy (i.e.
the general public) better off with marginal (and in too many
cases sub-standard) 'manufacturing' operations with obsolete
equipment/products that show a profit because of their excellence
in tax accounting or with world-class manufacturing operations
which show marginal profits (or even losses) because they pay
their fair share of taxes like everyone else?"

The free market works only if everyone must play by the same
rules and you can tell what things cost.

GmcD