Andrew Barss

Doug Miller wrote:
: In article , gregg wrote:
:Doug Miller wrote:
:
: In article , gregg
: wrote:
:Doug Miller wrote:
:
: Now tell me what overrides the Supreme Court?
:
: When Congres precludes the Court from addressing an issue
:
: And if the Court rules that Congress has no power to do that? What then?
:
: Article III, Section 2. Clause 2. Last phrase. This gives the Congress the
:power to preclude the SC from addrssing an issue.

: The First Amendment specifically prohibits Congress from enacting laws that
: abridge freedom of speech or of the press. They did just that last year. The
: Court ruled that they didn't.

The court ruled that certain forms of monetary contributions to
politicians doesn't constitute free speech.

: There's not much subtlety in it: the law prohibits certain types of political
: advertising within certain time frames preceding an election.

Yup. So, e.g., GM can't pay a million dollars to endorse a politician,
say, GWB, who has promised them some mighty fine rewards if they do so.

This is not the constitutional notion of free speech by a member of the
press or an individual.

What type, what
: time frame, what purpose -- none of that matters. Amendment I flatly prohibits
: any restrictions of any sort

Actually, not true.

: When a later Court decides that an earlier Court was smoking dope (Dred
:Scott).

Interesting that neither Doug, nor Mark/Juanita has replied to this
point.

-- Andy Barss

Remember when republicans claimed to be for fiscal reponsibility?

Jeez, the good old days.