bill a

they make rangefinder scopes for hunting, so you can adjust telescopic
sights.
The type made for bow hunting might have enough sensitivity at the distances
you're talking about.
You could stand at some zero point and range on the next corner of the
house, etc.
bill

"Dick" wrote in message
I do home inspections (here on Cape Cod) & with the snow I can lo longer
use my measuring wheel to measure the size of the homes I'm inspecting. Is
there such a thing as an optical, sonic or laser device that would enable me
to measure exterior walls without having to trudge through the snow to do
this?
Even better (since I have to photograph the homes anyway) does anyone know
of a camera based tool that would take digital pictures plus display (or
make possible for me to figure out) wall dimensions?