Charles Spitzer

laser tape measures work on the inside of rooms.

you'd need to have a known reference length in the shot to measure sizes,
then just do it by ratios. you won't get too accurate a length that way
though, so it depends upon how accurate you have to be.

"Dick" wrote in message
I do home inspections (here on Cape Cod) & with the snow I can lo longer use
my measuring wheel to measure the size of the homes I'm inspecting. Is there
such a thing as an optical, sonic or laser device that would enable me to
measure exterior walls without having to trudge through the snow to do this?
Even better (since I have to photograph the homes anyway) does anyone know
of a camera based tool that would take digital pictures plus display (or
make possible for me to figure out) wall dimensions?