HorneTD

Fred wrote:
The outlet/receptacle in my garage for my sprinkler timer is a single,
20-amp outlet. I went to replace it with a dual 20-amp outlet so I
could plug more than one thing at a time in. In doing so, I discovered
that this circuit is controlled by a 15-amp breaker (this circuit also
contains another 15-amp GFI outlet in my garage).

It's a new home, still under warranty. I reported this to the builder.
Two concerns:

1. Maybe it is supposed to be a 20-amp circuit and they tried to make
it look like one with the 20-amp outlet. All other add on outlets to
the house are 20-amp. The outlet for the sprinkler timer is an add on
since the front yard landscaping was an option. I don't think they'll
ever tell me for sure if that should have been a 20-amp circuit and
they forgot to put it in, so they piggy backed off of the exisiting
15-amp circuit in the garage.

2. Is it legal for them to put a 20-amp outlet on a 15-amp circuit? I
asked this question. The builder said "for the sprinkler timer, they
are allowed to use a single 20-amp outlet/receptable even though it is
a 15-amp circuit." What??? That doesn't make any sense.

Am I being BS'ed? I cannot get access to the NEC code book to research
this myself. My county uses the 2002 NEC.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

The simple answer to your question is yes the builder is BSing you. The
US NEC specifically limits the receptacles on a fifteen ampere circuit
to fifteen ampere pattern. The rating of the Over Current Protective
Device is what governs the ampacity of the circuit rather than the wire
size. The wire size could be increased to ten gage to compensate for
voltage drop but that would not make the circuit twenty ampere.

210.21 Outlet Devices.
Outlet devices shall have an ampere rating that is not less than the
load to be served and shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B).
(B) Receptacles.
(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying
two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to
the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or where larger than 50
amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit
rating.

Table 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits
Circuit Rating (Amperes) Receptacle Rating (Amperes)
15 Not over 15
20 15 or 20
30 30
40 40 or 50
50 50

I cannot imagine how this could be more clear. A fifteen ampere circuit
may not have a receptacle that is more than fifteen ampere pattern.

Since these receptacles were add ons or extras they were probably done
without benefit of permit or inspection. You may want to suggest to the
builder that if it is not corrected you will call in the electrical
inspector.
--
Tom Horne