Default light switches - safety issue?

In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes
DarkHorse laid this down on his screen :
I had another look, and I suppose they are 'box-like'. The lose one I
mentioned is badly split though, which makes it look more haphazard.

Is the cable brightly coloured plastic, or perhaps something much
older such
as dull coloured rubber or cable with a waxy cotton woven outer cover?

There are 2 red plastic covered wires connected to the switches and a
yellow/green wire not connected to anything. These 3 wires come out of
a black plastic tube. This is the same for all the light switches.

OK....

The wooden boxes suggest that the original installation was completed I
would guess sometime pre WWII. Down the walls to the switches there
will be metal conduits which has enabled them to rewire the lighting
circuits. The fact that there are earths provided which are sleaved
with green/yellow suggests it was rewired post about 1975 (anyone able
to confirm this?).

NICEIC newsletter (57 /58 iirc) chronicles the changes in wiring methods
to asist in dating the installation as required in their forms.

So the only thing which needs to be done to correct the obvious
problem, is for the wooden boxes to be replaced with proper metal
boxes. It might be worth chasing your landlord to get this done.

Remove all Zeds in e-mail address to reply.