SQLit

"Lem" wrote in message ...
Will an automatic car battery charger trip out at the correct point
if the battery is left connected to the car?

I don't want my charger to keep pumping current into my battery if it
is fully charged in case my battery suffers some sort of damage!

Thank you for any views.

Lem

-------------------

BACKGROUND ...

A thread last September in the uk.rec.cars groups called "Need to
disconnect battery before charging?" http://snipurl.com/chww seemed
to generally conclude that it is alright to charge a car battery
without disconnecting it first.

My battery charger is rated, by the manufacturer, at 11 Amps. It is
probably not 11 Amps but it is bigger than I need for my old
Mazda 1400cc car. It cuts out automatically when the battery is
charged and the cutout has an selector for sealed batteries and non-
sealed batteries. I think (not sure) it works at no more than 14.4
volts. This is it http://snipurl.com/chwx.

Is it ok to leave this charger connected until it trips out or will
the trip point be delayed by the presence of the car's elctrics in
the circuit?

My charger drops to a trickle mode. Very low amps to maintain the charge if
I am absent.