chris French

In message , Rodders
writes

"Set Square" wrote in message
Rodders wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message

Make sure you remove the skirting while you do the job, and then put
it back - or renew it - afterwards in order to cover the expansion
gaps.

I personally went for the lengths of wood effect coving which glues
on and which covers the space without the hassle of removing the
skirting. This gives a nice finish and, in my opinion having removed
and replaced very piece of skirting in my house when first bought, is
100% easier.

Sorry, but IMHO, beading always looks naff compared with having the gap
covered by skirting. With beading, it's *always* obvious that it's a
retro-fit.

I totally agree, in an ideal world, removing the skirting would be best, but
we are offering up options to someone who is tackling this probably for the
first time. Everyone has his individual standards, my standards are that a
retro fit is acceptable, obviously yours insn't. But it is up to the OP. We
can only offer advice and then leave it up to him to decide. In my opinion
beading doesn't look naff but is now an acceptable addition to a laminated
floored room.

Indeed. Pulling off the skirting in this house invariably leads to the
skirting ending up a bit of a mess, and the plaster all coming off
behind them. Ok, if big redecoration is under way, but not if you are
just doing the floor.

What does look neat if you need to use beading is to mitre the ends, and
put little return on the beading at the end of runs by doors etc. Easy
if you use a power mitre saw, and much neater than straight finish.
--
Chris French, Leeds