Jim Adney

On 2 Feb 2005 09:55:22 -0800 "Macthesage" wrote:

This is a bit of a shot in the dark for me. I would like to fix the
old valve radio which has knocked around in my family for decades

There's no doubt that this can be fixed.

Given its age at about 50 years what is most likely wrong (it last
worked in 1990)?

The most likely problem is a bad electrolytic capacitor.

Where can you get repair parts?

You have to get in contact with the right people. The antique radio
newsgroup is the place to ask.

In fairness to the repair guy, he did mention that replacement valves
are difficult to source but how difficult is difficult?

They are not difficult to find at all. You just have to ask the right
people. They will be hard to find in one of today's normal electronic
repair shops. Many of the people there may never have even seen a
vacuum tube, other than a CRT.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA