WD

On 2 Feb 2005 10:02:34 -0800, "Larry Bud" wrote:

Good job :-)
You should take pics before and after you have completed the project and post it
in abpw. I am sure many of us would like to admire your handicraft and possibly
questions about the construction of your drum sander.

Again, that's what the point of truing the drum is. The sandpaper goes
on the table, and as the drum turns the high spots hit the sandpaper,
and eventually the drum is a perfect circle relative to the centerline.

I finally got it to work last night. What I did was take a 50 grit
belt sander disk, contact cement it to a piece of 1/2" hardboard the
same size as the belt.

I first drew some relief marks on the drum with a pencil as the drum
rotated so I could see high and low spots. Then I raised the table so
the belt just touched the drum, and moved it along the length of the
drum (with the hardboard down on the table). Stopped the machine and
checked to see if there were still low spots. If there was, I'd raise
the table by probably about .05" and repeat.

This worked better because the whole drum didn't grab the piece of sand
paper as was happening before...

Took about an hour to get it completely round.. Just waiting for my
velcro and sand paper strip to come it to complete this project.