alexy

(Dave Mundt) wrote:

Greetings and Salutations....
Just wondering if anyone ELSE went to the
Woodworking show at the Convention Center in Atlanta
this last weekend?

Yep. Few enough of us, though,

I was the guy in the black hat and long, black
leather coat wandering around on Friday

I was the one in jeans on Saturday.

....and if the
ice had not been 1/4" thick over everything on Saturday,
I probably would have gone back...

Wuss! g I was there Sat, and it was nice because there were NO
crowds. Kinda sad, though when I walked by a booth and the guy asked
if he could practice his spiel on me. Then I felt rude moving on,
since there was no one else at the booth, and not many more on the
aisle!

snip
There was a very nicely done dining table and
chair set. The table had a marquetry inlay, about 4"
wide, as a boarder, consisting of a background of birdseye
maple, with shaded "tree trunks" insert into it. Kind of
reminded me of looking through a light stand of poplar, or
birch, in the winter, with snow-covered ground all around.
The chairs seemed kind of "too upright" for me...rather like
some of the efforts produced by Frank Lloyd Wright. Well
made, but, kind of tall and did not look all that comfortable to
me.

The chairs were not my style, and your criticism may well be valid,
but the marquetry was beautiful on them as well, continuing what I
interpreted as a bamboo and leaf theme from the table. Did you notice
how the "pictures" on adjacent chairs were mirror images?

There were several "hall tables" there too, that were
pretty pleasing to the eye.

I liked the pair of triangular tables with the carving at each corner
that made the leg flow seamlessly to the top. Very fluid looking.

Of course, there was pretty much the usual collection
of vendors there, although to tell you the truth, I thought
that there were fewer this year than in previous years.

I missed last year, but it seemed much smaller than two years ago when
it was out in Gwinnett.
For
example, Highland Hardware either did not have a presence
there, or I just inhaled stupid gas and missed it.

No, you are right. I had to go down to Virginia Highlands to get my HH
fix this morning.

BTW, they closed the show early on Sat (4:00) which was a sensible
thing to do, since those of us with too little sense to stay home
might have stayed later, until the roads started refreezing.