jim rozen

In article .com, Chopster
says...

I am currently getting into metallurgy and going through the book I
have I came upon a question that I was unsure on the answer.

There is a piece of 1018 cold drawn steel that is not meeting
elongation, what possible fixes are there?

Think about what cold-drawing does to a material.

It orients the grain structure and locks stress into the
material.

Take a piece of copper wire, clamp one end in a vise, and
pull on the other end (wrap around a hammer handle or whatnot).

The wire becomes harder and more brittle because it's been
drawn.

Elongation can be recovered in both cases by heating and allowing
slow cooling so the atoms in the material have a chance to
thermally 'bounce around' and find happy places to be.

Jim

please reply to: