Ed Huntress

"Chopster" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently getting into metallurgy and going through the book I
have I came upon a question that I was unsure on the answer.

There is a piece of 1018 cold drawn steel that is not meeting
elongation, what possible fixes are there?

The only thing I could think of is to re-temper the steel and quinch it
in water. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

If by "not meeting elongation" you mean that it's breaking before it's
reaching the specified elongation, it could just be steel that isn't meeting
spec (too much sulfur or phosphorus in it, etc.). Or it could be
over-hardened from cold-working, whether it's rolling or drawing.

You could try re-annealing it. That will increase elongation but it will
also decrease strength -- both yield- and ultimate tensile strength. You
definitely don't want to quench-harden and re-temper; although, with 1018,
all of that will not do much, because 1018 doesn't contain enough carbon to
harden noticeably. If it were a higher-carbon steel, quench-hardening would
*decrease* the elongation, although it would increase strength.

--
Ed Huntress