Dave Hinz

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:15:04 +0000, Mark Rand wrote:
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 03:13:52 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Years ago an acquaintance took apart his Starrett magnetic base. When he
re-assembled it, it no longer worked, although the magnet still was one.
No parts were lost in the disassembly, and everything was replaced where it
belonged.

I witnessed the problem, so I know it's true. Can anyone explain why it no
longer functioned? If so, thanks!

Harold

As a corollary to all the comments, Anyone have an idea how many thousand
ampere turns I might need to re-magnetise an old mag base after building a
good core around it?

The copper involved would probably cost more than a new mag base.