Kevin Gibbons

Default HELP: Garage Heater Recommendation

Hello all,

I'm hoping some knowledgable heating experts might be able to help me
out here.

We're in the process of building a new house, and have an attached
garage. The garage size is 26x24, and has a ceiling height of 11'6".
The way the garage is positioned within the house, two of the walls
are shared internal walls, and two are external (cold) walls. The
external walls are 2x6 construction, are are R19 insulated. Above the
garage is a bonus room which is finished, and has R33 insulation above
the garage ceiling. And the garage door itself is very well
insulated.

Basically, I'm looking for a recommendation on a good heater for this
garage space, since I will be setting up a small workbench area, and
would prefer to work in the warmth rather than the fridgid cold

My plumber originally suggested a thermostatically controlled space
heater from Rinnai - the 606TRAII. Here's the link:
http://www.rinnaina.com/products/hea...E606ATRAII.asp

However, after speaking to the sales people where they sell this
heater locally, they talked him out of this model saying it wouldn't
be sufficient for this space. Now his recommendation is to setup a
small furnace unit, and run duct work overhead blowing heat down into
the garage. While I'm sure this second method will work just great,
it's way overkill for what I'm looking to do with this garage.

My original thought was to go with a simple brick heater, but my
contractor talked me out of this saying it would burn up way more gas
than I wanted, since it is NOT thermostatically controlled. So now
I'm back to square one.

My budget on this is preferrably around $600 or under. If anyone can
make a suggestion that would fall into this category, I would greatly
appreciate it!

Kevin G.