Tim

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 02:49:37 -0800, timegoesb wrote:

I heard that GU10 230v lamps throw the heat forwards and other types,
including LV, throw the heat backwards. The forward throwing type is
better for fire safety in ceilings.

Building inspectors are getting shirty about downlighters in ceilings,
wanting fireproof boxes around them. If a lamp throws heat forwards
then the fire aspect should not be an issue.

Does anyone know what lamps are more safe than others in this respect?

Anything with a dichroic (selective) reflector attempts to throw visible
light forward whilst letting infrared pass though it and out the back.

One property of dichroic reflectors is they appear "colourful" if you look
at them, with little patches of colour depending on how you look at them.

I've mostly seen dichroic used on LV halogen (where the reflector is part
of the bulb assembly)

Timbo