timegoesby

Default Newish house problem

Clive Summerfield )
Date: 2005-02-01 06:10:08 PST

"http://tinyurl.com/7y8y4" wrote in message

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
A colleague bought a house on a new estate (from new) 2 years and 8
months ago. The main water tank is leaking, and needs replacement
(quoted price 350 quid). The builder says he won't replace it as it's
outside some '2 year period'.

That will be correct.

He says he's been told that NHBC doesn't cover this (I guess it's
structure only?), but what are opinions of him getting this paid for
(eventually) by the builder?

Very little chance.

I doubt the actual tank is leaking. Far more
likely to be one of the connections to the tank.
I bet the plumber who quoted for replacement
will be able to find one that looks *identical*.

snip

I would assess using a heat bank/thermal store that can be pulled through
the hatch, eliminating a cold tank, giving instant hot water, high prerssure
showers and liberating an airing cupboard. It is easy to fit as all the
pipes are in the airing cupboard. This will bring the system uop to date.
Cold tanks in lofts is yesterdays technology

Another option is replace the existing boiler with a high flowrate combi,
assuming an easy change and it fits in the same cupboard.

Another classic Adam/John Curtis/IMM/Dr Evil response. The house is
less
than three years old and yet you rekon a good solution to the original
poster's problem is to replace the tank with a heat bank in the loft,
or
replace the existing boiler with a combi. Madness, utter madness!

The problem is unlikely to be a tank failure, but rather a problem
with the
installation. If the builder is being awkward, then I'd first get as
much
evidence as possible, then either DIY or pay someone to fix it. Then
take
the builder through the small claims route at court to reclaim the
costs.

Cheers
Clive

If this man is to pay £350 to fix a cold tank and then pay about £500
for a good power shower pump, fitted, then he would be better off
modernising his system with a thermal store. That is £850 in all. He
has all to gain and little, except a little extra cost, to lose.
Having a cold tank in the loft in a new house, is a builder with no
idea of current water systems.