charlie b

TheNewGuy wrote:

Hello All,

First off, note my moniker :^)

Second, please no replies of "buy a jointer." :^)

OK, specific scenario: yellow poplar, 4s4, 1x8. I've cut it to length
(30") and am ready to rip my widths (3"). Laying it on the TS, there
is noticeable twist - I'd say 1/8" to 3/16" across two diagonal corners
(push down one corner, the far opposite rises off the table 1/8-3/16")

snip

That's the safety question. I DO realize that piece I was cutting for
is now not "perfectly" flat nor with "perfectly" square edge/face
corners. Eh, it might not matter in my specific case, THIS time, for
THIS project. BUT. How much twist do you tolerate before you either
work to correct it, or select different stock?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris:

PLEASE have a look at at least the first two pages of
this kickback stuff. You dodged a bullet this time.
Please don't press your luck. Bad habits start with
a lucky first experience, and, when it comes to
spinning carbide teeth, can lead to nicknames like
Stubby, Squint or Oh That Poor Man. Wood is
relatively cheap compared to a trip to the emergency
room and the folllow up rehab cost.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack1.html

If it don't feel right before you do it take some
time to think things through FIRST. Often there's
a safer way to get it done. Ignoring that little
voice in your head is a bad way to start when
power tools are involved.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER (but only if you use that
knowledge).

charlie b