N. Thornton

Default DIY rising damp proofing - quick question

John Rouse wrote in message ...
In article , Christian
McArdle writes

At the floor level on every set of stairs, there is either a "ramp" or a
useful shelf as the wall gets thinner. I strongly suspect the lower ground
floor cavity is due to the fact that this floor is half buried in the
hillside.

How are the two skins tied together?

Of course I dont know about Christians house, but mostly bricks were
used as the ties: with a half inch cavity wall this means some end on
bricks are half an inch recessed on the inner wall, which isnt a
problem. Sheets of stone were also sometimes used for tying in. But
given the complete absence of any building regs covering wall ties
back then, you could have anything, even no ties at all if youre
unlucky. IIRC the only thing covered by build regs in Vic times was
the depth of foundations: and that was widely flouted.

Regards, NT