Norman D. Crow

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Norman D. Crow wrote:
Currently dialup 56K, switching to DSL this week. Tried RR a year or so
back, loved it, but couldn't afford it. Right now I've got DSL through my
local ISP for $29.90/mo. for 1 yr. with option to renew for 2nd yr. @

same
price.

9600 memories; mid 80's, data entry system running entry terminals @ 9600

on
a big MX'er, they were complaining of losing data. Watched the girls,

they
were faster than the connection, over-running the buffers. They just had

slow down a tiny bit.

9600 baud is almost _ten_thousand_ words per minute.

Postulating that the mux _uplink_ was at 9600, and supporting 32

terminals,
They _each_ would have had to be typing at close to 300 words/minute to

over-
load the link. color me *very* skeptical.

Now, if it was a 64-terminal mux, on a 9.6k uplink, that's getting closer

'believable'.

Color me red! Maybe they were 1200. I do know the girls running entry could
over-run and lose data(usually fast numeric entry, then *return* or *enter*
to skip to next field). Each terminal had it's own line to a "modem" in the
MX'er, the MX was running straight on a common trunk into the processor, an
NCR Century 200, which at that time was our top of the line.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.