Andy Hall

Default Equivalent fluorescent power

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:16:24 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Peter wrote:
I am planning light fittings in my new house and trying to get to
grips with fluorescent lighting. I can visualise how much light a
standard incandescent lamp will give, but find it very hard to do with
fluorescent fittings, particularly the smaller tubes.

Is there a good rule of thumb for comparing the output?

lumens are the measure of total light output.
Typical incandescant bulbs will produce from about 10-15lm/W.
Typical CF tubes a little under 100lm/W.
Larger linear fluorescents from 100-110lm/W.
So, as a ballpark, around an eighth of the power is needed for
a fluorescent to be as bright as a conventional light.

The wattage equivalent on a lot of CF tubes is somewhat debatable.

But why would you want them? They're horrible (unless you don't mind
looking bilious of course.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl