Ed Huntress

"Tom" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Well, it appears that there is no such official designation at all.

history of it, written by Dave Petzal for Field & Stream, says: "Not

be
outdone, the U.S. Army modified the '03 to take a 150-grain bullet

that
could reach out to where the Huns were and renamed it "U.S.

Cartridge,
Model
of 1906." Because that was a mouthful, people have called it the

.30/06."

--
Ed Huntress

Hardly credible quote.
Rather slovenly research by Petzal, I didn't think the US were at war
with
Germany in 1906?

You can check it out for yourself, Tom. See what the original, offical

US
Army designation was, and see what you can make of the shortened

versions.

It had nothing to do with war with Germany. It had to do with Mauser's
developments at the time.

--
Ed Huntress

As regards the 1903 Springfield, it came about as a result
of US forces encountering Mausers in the Spanish_American War.
The superiority of the Mausers to the US arms caused Chief
of Ordnance to order a new arm be developed...

Exactly. That's what I just said in a previous message. Although Spain
became less of a threat, Germany was still there.

--
Ed Huntress