George

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:07:59 -0500, Silvan
When I was young I knew a man named Gerald Bates, he had a son named
Richard, IIRC. At that time kids didn't call adults by first names so
Gerald Bates was always "Mr. Bates" to me. Only later did it occur to
me that a hundred or more years ago unmarried men were referred to by
the title of "Master", so this man and his son would have been Mister
Bates and Master Bates.

Tim Douglass

English public schools and preparatory schools here which use their model
call the instructors "masters." We had a Bates who was our music master,
who provided music by playing a Hamilton during chapel.

Master Bates on the upright organ....