gregg

Doug Miller wrote:

And if the Court rules that Congress has no power to do that? What then?

Article III, Section 2. Clause 2. Last phrase. This gives the Congress
the
power to preclude the SC from addrssing an issue.

The First Amendment specifically prohibits Congress from enacting laws
that abridge freedom of speech or of the press. They did just that last
year. The Court ruled that they didn't.

You keep repeating that.

You state it as FACT and use it as a premise to show that the SC has done
something wrong.

YOU might believe they allowed a law that violated free speech - others do
too. But many others do not. And I haven't been convinced either way. Nor
am I a constitutional scholar - and I bet you aren't one either.

So while you want to be convinced of it, I'm sorry but I reject it as some
sort of starting point:

You haven't proven it and I'm not interested in that rathole debate.
Especially since neither one of us knows what we would be talking about.

Believe it if you want - that's certainly your right. but dont' state it as
an absolute fact that can be used in this discussion.

I stay with the view that SC decisions MAY NOT be perfect or correct, but
there's a mechanism to change the decision. Which is my whole point anyways
-
you ask what can you do? I say - Lots.

My point is: what do you do, what *can* you do, when the Court simply
*ignores* the plain language of the Constitution and makes whatever ruling
it damn pleases?

Again - you're making an assumption about that particular case. but *IF*
there is some ruling that is wrong, it is correctable in a lot of ways.

personal opinion about McCain-Feingold snipped

I suspect what you are suggesting with your "examples" is that *IF* the SC
decides to become dictatorial there's no recourse, under the Constitution,
to check them.

There's always impeachment... if we can find 67 Senators with enough
courage to do the right thing.

That's one of the zillions of ways I'm talking about.

And this is patently untrue. Among other things, Article II, Section I.

Excuse me? Article II, Section I deals with the manner of electing the
President.

Sorry my typing error - Article III, section I.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm