Doug Miller

In article , Tim Douglass wrote:

When I was young I knew a man named Gerald Bates, he had a son named
Richard, IIRC. At that time kids didn't call adults by first names so
Gerald Bates was always "Mr. Bates" to me. Only later did it occur to
me that a hundred or more years ago unmarried men were referred to by
the title of "Master", so this man and his son would have been Mister
Bates and Master Bates.

Even worse, the son would have been called "Dick"...

--
Regards,