jim rozen

In article , B.B.
says...

In addition to my welding class I'm taking a machine shop class. Our
project involves a little piston air motor.
To make the cylinder for this we're instructed to drill & ream a
blind hole. I finished and reamed the hole, it's straight and clean,
except that it appears a chip wedged itself between the reamer and the
wall and scored the inside of the cylinder, making my piece scrap.
Is that just a danger of making a hole this way, or is there
something I can do to prevent such a problem? I did run the reamer a
bit faster than I was supposed to because the mill I was on had a broken
low range. Could that lead to this sort of thing?

How much material did you remove with the reamer?
IOW how much smaller than the nominal diameter of the
reamer was the hole?

Jim

please reply to: