Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
I have a Glowworm Mk I. If the pump is going too fast, it suggest a lack of
water in it which could be very dangerous for the boiler and persons
standing too close. The boiler water can't be totally drained in mine as
the feed pipes are at the top and half way down, so in the absence of a
water supply, the burner will heat up what water is left in the boiler,
until the boiler thermostat switches the gas off, which on mine would take
one minute or so.

this is just a worst case scenario....... check the pipes to the boiler for
temperature. If they are cold, they may have no water in them.

"Markus Splenius" wrote in message
On 1 Feb 2005 02:40:56 -0800, "doozer"

wrote:

Anyway a few more details. The most dangerous thing that happens, IMHO
(please excuse the fact I don't know what all the various bits are
called), is when the boiler fires up but the hot water produced is not
pumped around the hot water tank or the radiators (the pump goes ten to
the dozen and sounds like it's trying to tear itself off the pipe). I
am fairly sure there must be a safety cut off because under those
circumstances the boiler does go off briefly. The Honeywell controller
/ timer box, an ST6400C (
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/acb-1357), has
been bodged on to the wall (previous owners fault) and tapping it, even
very lightly, with my finger can cause the heating or hot water to come
on.

If I had to make a guess I would say that it is the controller / timer
box but I don't know for sure. Any ideas?

This is slightly frightening. We have to get certificates to fit you unvented kit over 15 litres, and we have to leave you fully informed about it, but someone is allowed to sell the house to you and leave you clueless as to what you have.

The Megaflow has an internal expansion pocket known as a bubble. This may require re-establishing. It is not your problem but you should learn about that anyway. If you know these things correct me and I'll say no more, if you don't talk and we'll get you informed.

The red thingie is an expansion vessel but not for your megaflow, so we can conjecture your heating system is sealed. Are you aware that you must top up with water via a filling loop? Have you seen one anywhere (silvery looking flexible pipe about 300mm long with a strange thing at one end called a double check valve and a washing machine tap at the other)? In the airing cupboard, near the orange thingy. Shoule be a small circular guage near it which goes from 0 to 6 bar or something like that. When system is cold pressure should be between 1 and 2, depending on your house and installation.

Tighten all the connections in the controller too, like the other guy said.

Have a look around what you have, give the previous owner a good bollocking for being such a prat and handing you over equipment that could blow your house out of the street without a hint of knowledge about it.