Alan

"Tim" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:09:57 +0000, Alan wrote:

Then see if you can find a pure X10 single-address transmitter that
looks like a light switch, but isn't expecting the load to be wired in
directly to it. You might even be able to use some of the other X10
switch products and just ignore the switched live output, and put the
switch and the receiver on the same address. Best to check with the
manufacturer if in any doubt - they're usually pretty helpful if you
phone or email them.

I probably should clarify that you could, with the above method, just
rewire
the existing swich cable from up above the ceiling to be across the L+N of
the
lighting circuit which allows you to leave the existing cable in place.

The X10 switch gets its feed and no need for the load supply wire as
that's handled by the remote X10 receiver module.

.........And this is why I posted here before trying anything! It's
easier to ask for advise and workarounds than find out the hard way when
it all goes wrong!

Hmmmm. Getting neutral to the switches is going to be a PITA.

How about using the 4th core of the three core & earth to the existing
two-way switches - and letting X10 take care of the 2 way switching
needs? Then the cores will become live, switched live, neutral and
earth...? 2 of the switches I wish to control are part of a 2 way
switching arrangement so this could be reasonably easy to do.

Stefek answered this already, it's a perfectly good way to do it.

Let us know how you get on - I'm thinking of maybe using X10 for some
garden lighting (rather than running lots of SWA back to the house, I can
just run one lighting supply circuit and use the DIN rail X10 modules in
waterproof housings near each set of lights). Could be a good setup for
the pond too...

Best,

Timbo

Tim,

X10 will do this easily - I have a similar setup but have the modules in the
garage, all fed via a SWA to the house.
Works great.
Current project is trying to get X10 control of existing lights with the
minimum of disruption to each room to keep SWMBO happy!

Alan.