Lurch

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:23:39 GMT, "Alan"
strung together this:

So, I'm looking at alternatives. One idea is to see about using earth as
neutral for this as it's just a reference point for the X10 signal. As
netural will be commoned to earth somewhere (incoming supply? substation?)
what reasons are there not to do this?
We're not talking about putting a load between live and earth, just using
earth as a reference point for a signal to be transmitted on the live line
from.
Can I common up netural and earth in the CU?? I've yet to see what voltage
is between them but last time I looked a few years back it was only a few
volts.

Not a good idea, this is classed as a total bodge and can be quite
lethal. It is contravention of every regulation out there.

Any other suggestions to get this working?

Drop a neutral to the switch, i.e. do it properly or not at all.
--

SJW