Tim

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:53:15 +0000, brugnospamsia wrote:

Dear group,

The only formal training my limited attention span permitted was in
electronics and not electrical installation. I also work as a technician on
a site with all cables accessible and understand the difficulty of
predicting future needs.

This explains my instinct to wire my house in an unconventional way avoiding
cutting joists and running cables under the floor or buried in plaster.

My plan is to use vertical and horizontal cable ducts around the stairwell
at the centre of my house in addition to the already useful duct formed by
the gap between the first and second first upper floor joists which runs the
whole length of the house and which will also carry gas and water pipes.

In the absence of or high price of trunking that is easy on the eye, and
given that PVC trunking is permitted, I wonder if there would be any
objection to my using bespoke MDF service ducts.

I have done a fair bit of Googling on the subject but to no avail.

thanks ...

Jeremy

Don't forget to apply any required grouping correction per the regs too if
there's more than one cable in there too.

I can't honestly advise on the pro's and cons of MDF for this. The only
question I would ask myself (and which I can't answer without checking) is
would MDF constitutes a greater fire or fume risk if one of the cables got
excessively hot due to a fault?

I suspect it doesn't matter as cables are routinely clipped to joists etc, but it's
worth thinking about.

HTH

Timbo