mac davis

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:59:59 -0500, "firstjois"
wrote:

"toller" wrote in message
:
: No, not at all off topic. I put oil and one coat on everything, inside
and
: out. Three coats on everything outside, and planned on six coats on the
: top. Butternut is pretty soft, and I though a thicker varnish might
provide
: a little more protection.
: Is this off base? Should I have put less on?

I'm unsure about the sanding between coast of wipe-on poly. I thought
directions said don't sand between coats, naturally I can't find a can on
wipe-on to read right now.

Also while looking at a store that sells unfinished furniture the
salesperson said they could finish the any piece I bought (for a percent of
the sale price) with 6 coats spray on varnish, IIRC he said sanded between
coats, too.

So what's the rule here, is it necessary to sand between coats with every
varnish/poly/waterbased poly/oil based poly? Or are they methods of
application where sanding is not recommended?

Josie

The can suggests sanding or steel wool between coats...

We use synthetic 0000 steel wool between coats, and on final coat
before the good ol' Johnsons wax goes on...YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing