Dave Hinz

On 31 Jan 2005 16:56:23 -0800, damian penney wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier, Damian, to _include_ whatever you're answering

in
your post, instead of including a 3-line URL? You know, like people

in
Usenet have been doing for, er, years?

There you go. Now like I said, I personally don't like having to wade
through gobs of context to find what the poster has actually
contributed.

Of course. Give a sentence or two, trim the rest. Leave in the "person
said thing" line, and you'll have it right.

Any decent/modern newsreader allows you to view groups in
a threaded manner so in my eyes quoting previous responses is a waste
of bandwidth.

Quoting the _entire_ previous message, sure. Enough to get an idea,
makes communication better.

If you really needed context then in slrn esc-p will find
you the parent based on the references tag but lets face it you were
just being pedantic and knew quite well the context of my comments.

Actually, no. Sorry, but I don't memorize the contents of every thread
I participate in and who is saying what to whom.

really don't need a lesson in how to use usenet, I've been using it for
over a decade. This is my last post on the subject as quite frankly I'm
tired of the childishness that's been displayed here. Shame on you.

Right, so because two of us are trying to explain to you how your posting
method interferes with people understanding _your posts_, somehow this is
our problem. Got it. The fact that you've been on usenet for more than
a decade isn't relevant; there were clueless newbies ten years ago too.

Most people would have noticed, in a decade, that replying with no context
interferes with communication.