Larry Bud

Sorry this is so off topic for a WW NG. Just helping a fellow
Woodworker...

I appreciate the comments Larry. I missed the fact that that pic was
resized. Not intentional. I resized it just to see what size I

wanted it
and then forgot to go back into PS and do it for real. It's too big

now
even when resized in browser. I'm still in the process of optimizing

all
the graphics and the links page was one that I've yet to tackle.

You don't mention the version of PS, but you should be doing a "Save
for Web" to save these as JPGs, then change the "quality" slider down,
IMO around 50-60 on most pics works great.

If your hosting provider provides for some scripting, I would get

rid
of your email address and make a form that people fill out. This

will
eliminate any spam bots from gathering your email address.

That's an awesome idea. I haven't had any problem as of yet with

spam on
that add but time will tell it's been up for over a year now). Might

be
that a form would make it easier for people to leave feedback or drop

line.

It's actually a little more of a pain for the user since if they want a
response they have to type in their email address, but I think it's
worth it. I get ZERO spam.

One question. I added a layer centering behavior because I just

think it
looks better centered but what do you think? Just did it this

morning so if
you didn't visit today (Monday) check back.

I personally like things left justified and if you notice nearly every
commerical website everything is LJ, but since this isn't a business I
allow for a little more creativity... I just looked at your source and
if you're concerned about bandwidth, you did the centering the hard
way!

Just place all your content in a 1 celled table that is centered. Also
not sure why you're preloading a bunch of images, or if that code is
just left over from something else.

What are you using to do your development?

Here's some great tips:

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

There's an "old" saying in web design: What Would Amazon Do? They
are IT as far as selling products online. Here's a few things Amazon
does without you probably noticing it:

-FEW images for navigation, and those that are there are quite small.
All of the tabs at the top are less than 2k.
-The links under the tabs are text only.
-Take a look at the physical size of all the pics on the page. The
largest one I see on the home page right now is 90x90 pixels.
-Their content is not fixed width. As you change the width of your
browser, the width of the page expands to fill. This is done with
tables, not Divs or Layers.
-Style sheets, style sheets, style sheets. If you're not familiar with
them, they allow you to define a "style" which is a set of attributes
that you apply to different components of your page. For example, the
main text in your site could have a style, and if you ever want to
change the font size, for example, you only have to change it in 1
place, and it can apply to the entire site.