The Natural Philosopher

Capitol wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Power electronics has changed a LOT in te last 25 years actually.

I repeat, power electronics has changed very little in the past
25years. I hold patents on power motor drive systems from 1962, which
are still technologically valid today!! FETs are a very minor step in
the development of power switching devices. Only the pricing has really
changed. Microprocessor control replaces, in many cases the original
analogue system. A similar example is washing machine controls, which
were designed as solid state in the early 1960's and are still
mechanical switches in many cases today. Anyway, in terms of prolonging
the life of your car, I've never seen any substitute for changing the
oil regularly. Another example where there has been little real change
in 60 years!

Regards
Capitol

Well there you are. Electronics basically hasn't changed, but the way we
use it has.

Lets agree that we agre on what's happened, but choose to describe it in
different ways.

I have been astounded to find that the analogue chips I used in the 80's
are in fact still in production today.

But if you say 'TTL' to anyone they either laugh, or think you are
referring to IP packets...

The one technology that has happened though, is that te power switching
FETS offer reliable fast switched mode voltage transformation - light
and cheap.,

That's one of the key elements of a DC car.