Paul Lucas

Default Separate electric oven and electric hob

Hi all,

This question has been asked in various forms, but none seem to quite
fit the setup I have so I would be grateful for some more advice.

I am refitting my kitchen and have taken out the old oven and hob (both
electric, oven was built under, hob was in worktop above). They were
both wired to an outlet/junction box on the wall. This outlet is wired
to the cooker isolation switch which is on a radial circuit fused by a
rewireable 30A fuse.

The previous setup was thus:

30A CU fuse ---- Cooker switch ---- Outlet ==== oven + hob (two wires
from outlet, one to each appliance)

Now I have a new shiny oven which seems to have a much thinner wire
attached to it. The power rating on the back says 2400W and I've read
on numerous posts that these modern ovens are designed to be powered by
a normal 13A connection to the ring main. The hob is a bit of a
mystery, the instructions say it needs a 20A fused connection (with
2.5mmsq wire) but then goes on to say that the input power is 6500W. By
my calculations 230V x 20A = 4600W which means it'd have a PF 1 ??

Assuming it really is 20A is it safe/normal to connect the following up:
30A CU fuse --- Cooker switch --- Outlet --- (Spur) --- 13A FCU ---
Oven
and then wire the hob direct to the outlet??

And just to make clear - yes I've read the instructions, no they don't
explain/show anything else, no they don't have a helpline or website

Thanks in advance,
Paul.