none

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:26:39 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

none wrote:

snip

of faulty idle on a Tecumseh carb is if you try and run them with a
rotted primer bulb or dirty gas.(Tecumseh uses a counterbalanced
govenor system that literally makes for a rock steady idle, unlike
Briggs which are famous for up and down idle states.)

Odd. I have exactly the opposite. B&S lawnmower is the
worst engine I've ever had, but idles so smooth so slow
that I can't imagine why it keeps running. Just does.

Depends on the year of that Briggs. The early B&S were designed for
low rpm and high compression, just the opposite of their newer models.
Of course they'll put along just fine at low rpms as the compression
is probably alot lower with age. They're just not going to have alot
of power on heavy load.
Tecumseh snow king engine is the best engine I've ever had.
Starts at -40 degrees with just a single tug on the starter.
Electric start, and even though I'm an old guy, I don't bother
plugging it in. But at anything less than full open, it
idles up and down so bad it's scary. Goes from what sounds
like wide open to almost stalling and back again. Over and over.
Looking at the spring on (or near) the carb, it goes from
tightly stretched to so sloppy and loose that it looks like
it should fall off.

If you're getting up and down on that Techumseh it may be because the
govenor springs are reversed.
This can happen with some installs on power equipment where the maker
of whatever it is(mini bike, snow plow, tiller etc...) purchases the
engines and does the install themselves.
The particular device it's going on can require particular govenor
springs or mods on the links.(I've gotten a fair amount of such in
where all I had to do was reverse the springs and all was fine.)
On the govenor arm on the side of the engine there's two holes for the
link and the spring.
The link goes into the top hole and them to the carbuerator. There'll
also be two holes on the top of the butterfly link, the link goes in
the outside hole in most apps. Also make sure the link isn't reversed
as this'll cause inconsistent throttle operation.
The spring goes into the bottom hole on the govenor arm and then to
the control arm on the throttle plate assembly. Or in some of the
older models that have fixed throttle to a metal tang on the intake.

If you're still having problems please give me some more details and
I'll look it up in my parts manuals.

Ken